Special Programs

Student constructing a 3-D printer

Kirby maintains a commitment to tailor instruction to the needs and interests of individual students.

Independent Study

Independent study provides a student with learning opportunities not available in the curriculum. While offering the chance to dive deeply into content, it also creates a collaborative one on one relationship with a mentor teacher, and allows the student to follow their own track with accountability and excitement. Students interested in Independent Study should consult with the Academic Dean prior to the semester in which the study is to begin. Coursework is subject to approval.

Off-Campus Learning and External Coursework

Kirby supports students who desire to further challenge themselves. With that in mind, there are various enrichment possibilities available in our community. In every case, students must consult with and obtain permission from the Academic Dean to take off-campus courses for Kirby graduation credit.

Credit for Courses Taken At Other Schools

Students enrolled may earn Kirby graduation credit for a course taken at another school only if: the course is not offered at Kirby; the course is academically comparable to courses offered at Kirby; and the institution offering the course is an accredited institution academically comparable to Kirby. Students who enroll in such courses elsewhere must maintain a minimum course load of four courses at Kirby.

Cabrillo Community College — summer and/or concurrent with Kirby classes

Courses with meeting times scheduled in the late afternoon and/or early evening may coordinate with Kirby’s class schedule.

University of California system

The entire UC system offers Summer Session courses, including intensive language programs. In addition, a number of campuses offer special summer session programs geared for high school students who have completed their junior year. A release form from Kirby is required.

Correspondence Courses

Many institutions in the United States offer correspondence/online courses at both the high school and university level. Many of these courses are self-paced. Please note, students who take required core math courses outside of Kirby due to scheduling conflicts or other acceptable reasons must succeed on the Kirby placement test before proceeding on to the next level of math. Kirby may have recommendations for institutions offering online options - please consult with the Academic Dean for referrals.